Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but by the moments that take your breath away.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

It's the little things...

that many moms may never notice that strike me at times. Aaden is a child that is not easily scared or hurt. He's a brave little guy and rarely cries. One place he is always scared is the doctors, he hates anyone restraining him or poking around at him. Since I've never been a mom to a young child it seemed normal when he was scared at the doctor's that he would wiggle and squirm to get away from everyone and try to get out of the room. Two weeks ago when I brought him in for a sick doctor's visit (a cold and conjunctivitis) and then today for his 2 year doctor's visit, it was very different.

We hadn't been to the doctors for a few months now which was out of the ordinary compared to when he first came home. For the first time 2 weeks ago and again today, instead of trying to wiggle out of my arms when the doctor tried to look into his ears, listen to his heart, etc he clung to me for dear life. That may seem like a normal thing for most moms but Aaden had never clung to me for anything before. I didn't realize we were even missing that bonding experience. Yes, I hated that he was scared and I had to make him go through that for his own good. But I had tears in my eyes too because I was so touched. He finally trusts me enough to cling to me and turn into me when scared instead of trying to get away from everyone. He doesn't want to get away from me anymore, instead he wants me desperately. What an amazing feeling that I didn't even know existed. That is the best present I will receive for Christmas this year!

5 comments:

Scott & Tammi said...

I loved reading your story about the doctor's visit. What an amazing moment that was for you as a mom! Merry Chirstmas!!
Tammi

Melissa said...

bonding. wow what a gift. pulls at the heart strings doesnt it

JackieMacD said...

OMG Lori, I know EXACTLY what you mean. It's something most take for granted. Aaden loves and trusts his mama. It's a huge milestone.

Sawicki4 said...

what a great moment between you and aaden - i know exactly how you felt!

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome and touching!
(Nancy J)